Thursday, March 3, 2016

YELLOW / GREY BURLAP WREATH & TUTORIAL


Time is flying around here! How is it possible we are already in March? The last few weeks have been pretty busy for our family. My husband has been traveling on business, our son and his wife are in the process on buying a house, our daughter was rear ended on her way to work one morning by a driver with no drivers license and we are in the process of planning our grandson's first birthday party, well, let me tell you, never a boring minute for these parents. :)

In the middle of all the happenings, we have been trying to keep up with our home. Since the weather has been in the 80's around here, we are already thinking "outdoors" and we have continued working on our back porch/deck as we have a little time. More to come on that soon.

Meanwhile, my front porch has been neglected, so I finally had the chance to spruce it up a bit.
Today I am sharing the simple wreath I made for the front door. I call it a between Winter/Spring wreath. :)





And in case you want to make your own, here is a small tutorial. 
To start you will need a grapevine wreath, any size, mine is 24". 



Next, choose which fabric you want to use for your flowers, it doesn't have to be burlap, I have made 
these flowers in the past using regular fabric. 

For the larger flowers you want to cut your fabric in 3" squares. For the small flowers, the squares need to be 2".
You will need nine of these for each flower, about 1/2 a yard of each fabric color.



 To start, I always cut a circle out of heavy card-stock and I cover it front and back with the same fabric.
I use this little circle as my base to start forming the flower.



To make the petals:
1.  Start by folding each square in half and then fold one 
 more time.Hold it together, add a little drop of hot glue to the bottom corner and place on your circle.

  2. First, add four petals.

  3. Add four more petal on the empty spaces in between.

  4. Add one petal to the center and you are done.



 On this wreath, I added a small pearl to the center of each flower using a tiny drop of glue. 
Be careful with that hot glue! I always use tweezers to hold the pearl while I glue it.  




 Repeat this process and make as many flowers as you want. I made four large flowers and six small ones.
When you are done, just add some hot glue to the back of the little circle we used to form our flowers and glue to your grapevine wreath in any way you like.



To finish the wreath, I made a simple bow using my bowdabra.



And you are done! Very simple.
It took me about an hour to put this wreath together.
It was also very economical. I used one of my old grapevine wreaths, used the little pearls I already had in my stash  and I bought the fabric at Hobby Lobby using my 40% off coupon. 

The burlap was $1.99 for half a yard of each color and with the 40% off coupon it came out to a total of $2.38 plus tax.
Total cost for me to make this wreath was under $3.00. 
I like that, so I won't feel guilty when I decide to change it again a couple of weeks down the road. :)




I hope this tutorial was helpful to you. 
Thank you for stopping by and have a wonderful day.
Take care!






 Sharing with:

6 comments:

  1. Very pretty . . . you can't walk through that door without a smile on your face :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty wreath... perfect for Spring! Love the colors and the flowers! Thanks for giving us a tutorial! ~Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is cute- love the colors. I wouldn't have imagined how to make it if you didn't show a tutorial. So sorry about your daughter's accident. There are so many people out there driving with no insurance and sometimes no license. Best wishes for the kids to find their first home- exciting times! Sounds like you have something exciting planned for out back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty spring wreath! I love the colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving it! Its pretty, its quick and easy to make. Total score!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is very pretty! I had every intention of sprucing up the tired wreath on my front door today and got sidetracked. Thanks for the reminder to get back to it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...