Friday, April 22, 2016

STORM UPDATE/ SMALL FREEZER BROKE & A NEW SIGN


I think it is safe to say, when it rains it pours! :)
First, I want to thank all of you that emailed me or left me a comment to check on us.
For the last two weeks our days have been kind of insane. Since that horrible storm came through our city all we have done is deal with vehicle and home insurance, contractors and one problem after another. 

The bad news is that the storm caused twenty eight thousand dollars of damage to our home and over nine thousand dollars to our vehicles, the worst news are that the collision repair shops are booked solid until September due to the thousands of cars that suffered damage and we won't be able to get any repairs done until then. Meanwhile, we have managed to have two of the windshields repaired so at least, we have transportation. We will have to wait for the other two cars until more glass is available.

We hope to have better luck with the house repairs, but we are not sure of the outcome just yet. All we know is that we are glad Summer and dry weather is on its way, because the roof on our home looks like a block of Swiss cheese, nothing but holes all around.

On a lighter note, just before all this happened, the small freezer we had in the pantry decided to call it quits.
We can't complaint. It served us well over 12 years. 
We were able to find one about the same size at Home Depot that same weekend.


Great little freezer but there was a problem, the door would not stay opened half way on its own like the old freezer did and could not be opened all the way because of the pantry shelf right over it. Needless to say it hit me in the head several times while getting food in or out so we had to figure something out.
My husband was able to cut the shelf so the door could be opened all the way and that is working just fine, but it left me with a blank space right behind it that looked awful.
So, I made a sign! This is the before and after.


While browsing at Kirklands for a gift, I found these little wooden number hooks. They came in a set of four and I figured I could use them to display some kitchen towels that I bought at IKEA a while back.



And then I made a sign using some old wood we had in the garage.


I first gave it a coat of white paint and while it was drying, I spent a good thirty minutes in my craft room mixing different colors of paint to match it as close as possible to the little hooks I bought at Kirklands.
I then made the letters using my cutting machine, applied them to the sign and painted over everything with the 
new paint color I had just created.
When everything was almost dry, I pulled the vinyl letters off and let it sit overnight to finish drying. 
Next morning I distressed it a little using some fine sandpaper.




I may be the only person in the world to put a sign inside her pantry, but I am ok with that. :)




I want to thank you all for stopping by and for always leaving me such wonderful comments.
I hope you have a wonderful weekend.
Take care



16 comments:

  1. Mariaelana, you are the craftiest person! What a cute idea and clever use of that space! Hope the repairs continue and your life gets back on track soon.
    Zenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the sign and the hooks, they look fabulous. So sorry about all the damage. Hopefully repairs come soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. September??? Wow, that's a long time to wait! I can't believe how backed up everything is. At least you were able to get some windshields repaired. I'm still sending prayers your way daily. On the bright side, I love your sign for the pantry! What a nice big pantry too. Your craft talents always amaze me! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest ME - first off whoo hoo on that awesome sign - we just got a new Cricut machine that can do that but I am just learning how to use it. I ADORE your job on that nifty sign!

    And about this storm and the damage? WHAT??? I need to read back posts, I had no idea - oh my golly - and your home is to-die-for gorgeous. I am so terribly sorry. Praying things work out to your satisfaction soon. Ugh.

    Try to have a good weekend, my friend. Hugs. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've made lemonade and your sign/hooks and towels dressed up your pantry so well. That was a terrible storm and the after the storm events so disruptive.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like it. I think the sign and the towels the way you put it all together it's wonderful! I would never know how to create the sign you just created. You are very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful idea! It looks great :-) Praying for you and your family that all gets settled soon. Have a wonderful weekend

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear about the delay in repairs. I love the sign! It's perfect for the pantry. Maybe something to add to the Esty shop? Hint, hint :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My goodness- I didn't know how inconvenient some of these situations could end up being. I hope they'll be able to get to your car a bit sooner. The freezer fix works and I love the sign you made. The two towel holders look great there too! Someone I know that lives in New Mexico had a roofing company. They were kept busy every year from hail storms. Life is sure different in the southwest!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry your beautiful home went through so much damage, Maria. I know how much a roof can cost so I'm really hoping this was where the majority of where your damage was. It doesn't seem like your home is uninhabitable. Blessings!

    I love your sign...great inspiration!!

    Sending a hug during these difficult times.

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Maria Elena, you are amazing! I love that you can still create and decorate when your house is literally crashing in around you!! Your freezer area décor is perfect - how inventive of you to come up with the hooks and make that fabulous sign. Sure hope you can survive until you can get your house and vehicles fixed. Definitely puts my little worries of late in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh gosh, I drool over your pantry, mine is 15" x 18" deep. Which is just not big enough. Hopefully we can double that with the kitchen redo. Smiles, glad you are okay. When everyone is safe...it is a blessing. Things can be replaced, people, can't. Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  13. que bonito y organizado te quedó la despensa .. awesome job

    cielo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry about your freezer, but LOVE the sign you did! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so sorry about all the damage to your home and cars, but glad none of you were hurt in all the horribleness. I hope that things will go well for the home repairs, & pray there are no more storms.

    Cute idea with the sign and hooks for your pantry!

    Warm hugs,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  16. Maria Elena,
    Goodness!
    I'm terribly sorry to hear about the extent of the damage done to your home and vehicles, dear friend!
    I adore your sign in the pantry!
    I have a Sunflower print in my Guest Room closet! (wink!)
    Keep focused on completing those repairs!
    Sending positive thoughts your way!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...